Monday 25 January 2010

My Name is Chief Inspector Mark Payne, I Have Much to Say About Everything Other Than The McCanns


Web Cop' to patrol internet for anti-police comments

I am the Chief Inspector who is thinking about implementing this post. I have blogged about why I think it is a good idea at Chief Inspector Mark Payne's blog

Have a look at what we have to say.
Posted by: Mark Payne

~

I'll try and address some of the points above.
Firstly trust. This independent MORI poll shows that 60% of the public trust the police. about the same as newsreaders, and more than actually trust the average man on the street.

I acknowledge this is not as high as I would like, but when you consider that part of our job involves making people do things they don't want to, and handing out fines for speeding etc, I think it is OK. The nature of our job means that we are never going to please everybody.

Re Jo Public's comments about me getting off my PC and onto the streets; I have run and solved numerous murders, rapes & robberies. I have taken millions of pounds of assets off criminals. I have seized large quantities of drugs and dismantled complex criminal networks. I have taken lots of guns off the streets, and every day I am at work, I am trying to make people safer. At the same time as doing this, I have learnt to work a computer, and I am trying to talk to people, they are not mutually exclusive activities.

Finally the link between the police and politicians. Like it or not, we live in a democracy. Laws are drawn up by elected policticians, and it is our role to enforce them. This doesn't always make us popular, but nontheless it is our job.

We don't always get it right, as I said at the outset, but I am proud to be a police officer, and I think we do a good job.

Posted by: Mark Payne

~


I have no more knowledge about the McCann case than the average person. This is a completely different force area, so I can't help you I'm afraid.

Posted by: Mark Payne
'Web Cop' to patrol internet for anti-police comments




Trust me I'm a policeman.